This week in math we had the opportunity to explore two math computer programs. They were both a lot of fun. The first one we were required to use a variety of shapes to recreate what looked like a face. I thought at first it was going to be really easy, but to my surprise it was rather challenging. Once you picked a shape like the square builder or the rhombus builder you would drag it down over an eye or the nose and see if you can make it create that shape. However, the catch was you could only use each one once and in this face there was two "squares" so that meant you had to find another shape that could also be made into a square. This program allows the students to play around with what they know about shapes and really see what the difference is between shapes like a kite and a trapezoid. I know especially in elementary school as students learn about shapes you tend to just recall the colorful wooden manipulatives that are helped to teach the shapes. I wonder how many students only think of a rhombus as being a blue diamond like shape, or a trapezoid being like the wooden red one. This program allows for a deeper understanding. I have already had plenty of lessons on geometric shapes, but I still learned a lot exploring this computer program.
In the other program, we were challenged to make a square using the tools of the program. That meant also we had to play around with what we knew about shapes and their relationship because there was no button to click that allowed you click and drag the mouse in a square shape. I was not successful creating a square. I tried just connecting line segments but the angels would be off. I attempted hooking circles to other circles hoping a square would form the radius of the circle, however, there two the angles would be off. We were told that you would be able to prove it was a square by selecting a side and having the whole shape expand and keep the square in tack. After several trial and errors I was never able to form a square. I think i need to explore the program further.
In the other program, we were challenged to make a square using the tools of the program. That meant also we had to play around with what we knew about shapes and their relationship because there was no button to click that allowed you click and drag the mouse in a square shape. I was not successful creating a square. I tried just connecting line segments but the angels would be off. I attempted hooking circles to other circles hoping a square would form the radius of the circle, however, there two the angles would be off. We were told that you would be able to prove it was a square by selecting a side and having the whole shape expand and keep the square in tack. After several trial and errors I was never able to form a square. I think i need to explore the program further.
No comments:
Post a Comment