In my current thinking about using the ipod Touch to differentiate instruction, I was exploring app land to see what all is out there. There is really a lot. I came across a free spelling app that looked like fun but was not sure if it was something that a kindergarten class would use, since I am mainly thinking how could I use it in my classroom now. In my experience in the class I am in, there is not much of an emphasis on spelling correctly. The students are encouraged to use "guess and go" spelling and to use what they know about letters and sounds to spell. Therefor, I think using an app where they are going over letter sounds would fit in more with what we are currently working on. As this thought passed through my head my friend sent me a text. I pulled my phone out of my coat pocked and read a text saying "Jace has spelling tests. Since when do they do this in kindergarten". Hmmm.....maybe some kindergarten classes could use spelling app. Maybe in fact it could be used in my class. Some of the students in my class are still having trouble with sight words like "the" and "my". Those students might benefit from more exposure and the use of a spelling app at their desks to master the sight words.
To further explore what I could with apps, I searched "iPod Touch kindergarten" in Google. I found a log of great things doing that. Blogs, tutorials, schools asking for the money to buy touches, and videos. Below is a video that I found from YouTube of a kindergarten student reading a book with the help of an app that he types in unknown words and it pronounces it for him.
This is another way that students could use the Touch as they read. If a student had it at their desk with them with headphones on they would be able to use this during silent reading. I am going to have to play around with this app to see what all it does. It would be great if it could record or keep a history of the words a student was looking up. That way it could be passed back to the teacher to see if there is a pattern to what words the student is missing. They might need some more instruction on something like what sound a particular letter makes, or what sound a "ph" makes. This could also be helpful for the students to use in knowing if they have a "just right" book or if it is too hard. The rule could be if you are having to look up more than 5 words than it is too hard. That gives the students a clue that it is is too challenging.
To further explore what I could with apps, I searched "iPod Touch kindergarten" in Google. I found a log of great things doing that. Blogs, tutorials, schools asking for the money to buy touches, and videos. Below is a video that I found from YouTube of a kindergarten student reading a book with the help of an app that he types in unknown words and it pronounces it for him.
And now with digital books, the child can just click on the word that they don't know and hear it pronounced.... some of your classmates are playing with e-books on their Touches and being pretty impressed with the learning that kids are doing independently.
ReplyDeleteThere's a website with apps reviews for early learners on the Tech wiki. Have you have a chance to look at that? I'd be curious to know what you think...