11.18.10
Today I got to teach for the second time in my middle school dyad. The lesson I taught was basically a fun, engaging unit wrap up. The students had to work in their table groups to match up graphs, tables, equations, and story problems that had the same linear relationship. One of the first challenges in planning for this lesson was trying to figure out how much time it was going to take the groups to do the work. The students in the math classes are all over the board with their understanding of the material. The other thing that needed to be considered was making sure that everyone was going to participate in the work. Group work can sometimes be challenging for students or anyone to work on. These math classes don't get the opportunity to work together too often so having little exposure was something that could create a problem. However, it just so happened that the day before the groups did a group test together which helped me to observe which groups were going to need some assistance in encouraging everyone to participate. The thing I liked about this lesson and really tried to emphasize it to the class was that each person in the group had a role. Each student had to be in charge of looking at the graphs, equations, tables, and story problems. From what I was seeing as the students worked, they did a pretty good job at including everyone.
At the end of 2nd period I was feeling good. Things went smoothly and as planned. I felt proud of the class and all of their hard work but also proud of myself for delivering a good lesson. When the class was let out I was walking around picking up their posters. I was about to say good work and good-bye to one of the students when she said "Ms.Parks, you are a really good teacher." I slightly stuttered as I tried to get a thank you out. I responded saying "thank you A. That means so much to me. That is the first complement I have received and I really appreciate it." This compliment came from a student who I once thought did not like me. I have worked with her one several occasions because she does not understand the math and always copies off of her table group. I have felt really bad for her because she was the kind of student that when does not ask for help when she doesn't understand. I think it has something to do with being embarrassed and not wanting to admit she doesn't get it because of the not so encouraging comments I witnessed her table partners say to her. At first I worried that I was helping her too much and that she was not going to appreciate all of the extra attention it could bring her. However, I tired to be discrete when I helped her out by not just working with her by also with some of the others at her table. During the group work today I asked her questions to deepen her thinking along with the others at her group. I really want her to succeed and I think she would really be proud if she did.
After the success of 2nd period I knew I did not want to get too confident because there was still 5th period. The last time I taught, 2nd period went well and 5th period went well in a different way. I had students fighting and swearing, being rude and not listening, and sitting at their desks without knowing what do do and not asking for any help. The teacher has told me that 5th period is a much more social class and with it being the end of the day the students are starting to check out. Keeping that first teaching experience with 5th period in mind I did not want to just assume everything would go as planned. While I did not have any students swearing and fighting with each other I had some students throwing markers some talking about things completely off subject. Then there was another student that was just as rude to me this time as she was before. Ironically her name also starts with an A just like the student who said I was a good teacher. Even the teacher in this class as trouble with this student. I consider myself to have a pretty good awareness when I have done something that might upset or offend someone so I can pretty much guarantee that I have don't nothing wrong to this student. I have even made several attempts to talk to her before and after class about school and other non related things to help her show I care and am interested. However, it seems to be unappreciated. In a meeting she had with the teacher she said how much she hates school and doesn't want to be here. I am pretty sure she is just your stereo typical middle schooler.
Every time I went over to check on A's group in 5th period, she was either playing with wax on her binder or writing a note. The first time I went over I tired to give her a moment to realize what she was doing wrong and correct it on her own. When she didn't I asked her to stop and put her binder on the floor. The next time I came over she had a note out so I asked to her to put it away. The third time I came over she had the note out again and was writing in it. I was really surprised that she was doing that so I calmly looked at her and said "Because you are writing that note right in front of me after already talking to you and asking you to put it away and you did not even attempt to hide it from me tells me that you are not listening or respecting what I am saying." She put the note away and started to work with her group. I think I might have been even too nice about the way I handled it however, I was not prepared to handle any real discipline.
At the end of the day I went through all of the posters that the groups were working on. From what I saw going on in the groups and from their product I know a lot of learning was going on. However, I am still struggling with how to reach out to some of the middle school students. I know that adolescents are going through so many changes and it is a tough time for them, but I think it possible for them to all enjoy school or something about school and show respect to those around them.
I think the job you will have as a middle school teacher could be a lot more challenging than being an elementary teacher. Although you only have to focus on one subject and prepare one lesson, you have so many more students to know. Sure it would be easy (and boring) to just do the same lesson five or six times a day. However, if you truly differentiate for all of your classes and students there would be a lot more work to do. I would never make it because I couldn’t keep all the names straight. I have trouble figuring out which of my kids to yell at: “Timmy, Makayla, Satin (the dog)… whoever you are stop…” Well I think you get the picture.
ReplyDelete